Thursday, July 13, 2017

Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume - anthology

Confession. I've had more blogs than I can count. I often stumble across an old one, and, very quickly, set it to private. However, there are some interesting (to me anyway) snippets about books I've read, and now will probably need to re-read.

Without further adieu, here's an extract of a post from December 2010. I babble about a LOT of books, but I'll keep it to just one.


Everything I Needed to Know About Being A Girl I Learned from Judy Blume. This was awesome, and a big departure from everything else I've been reading lately. A couple of these stories made me laugh out loud, and I was able to relate to over 50% of them. Guess that goes to show that the Judy Blume experience is kind of universal... in the western world among girls in the 25-35 age range anyway. [2017 edit: let's make that 30 - 40 age range.... god I feel OLD.]

So, if you've EVER read ANY Judy Blume books, still snigger whenever you hear someone's name is Ralph, wonder what the hell Margaret was on about when she spoke about the 'belts' you needed with your pads, and kind of strangely identified with Sheila the Great, then you'll love, love, love this book.

ETA: Apparently some of the original books are being modernised, with all the 70s quirks taken out of them. I HATE this! I've read a few books that have done this, and the modernisations just feel forced and stupid, and seriously, do the powers that be think we can't understand that they were written in a different time period? Do we really need things to be 'modernised' so we can understand and enjoy them? /end rant

No comments:

Post a Comment