Friday, July 14, 2017

The Party by Robyn Harding

Yesterday I dropped the toddler off at daycare, and took myself off to the local shopping centre to treat myself to brunch - the bacon craving was real! I ran into Kmart on my way to the cafe (as you do), and impulse bought The Party by Robyn Harding (book 44 of #50booksin2017).

I was totally sucked in by the cover, and the shiny 'Love it or your money back' publisher sticker on the front. Read about it and see an author interview at the publisher's website.


The book launches straight into the action - the opening is from the mother's point of view, and her regret at having had a sleeping pill and two glasses of wine when the 'incident' happened. We don't find out straight away what the incident is, just that her daughter has come to wake her up, and is covered in blood.

Told from multiple point of views, some were easier to read (and more interesting) than others. Kim, the mother from whom most of the story is presented, is neurotic and quite unlikable. Actually, as I write this, it's dawning on me that most of the characters are quite unlikable. It definitely isn't the characters that kept me reading, rather the twisted situation that they find themselves in. In saying this though, the characters' flaws are scarily realistic, which may account for some of my discomfort when reading certain characters' perspectives.

I didn't love this book, but I liked it enough to read in one day, and not want to throw it against a wall when I got to the end. The plot moves at a good pace, with things revealed slowly, but quickly enough that I wasn't tempted to read the last chapter first (yes, I have done that before when trying to decide whether to stick with a book.)




No comments:

Post a Comment