Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Mercy by Rebecca Lim

School is crazy right now, so one from the archives... November 2011 to be exact.
Exiled from heaven, a lost soul seeks her soulmate...Mercy 'wakes' on a school bus bound for Paradise, a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business - or thinks they do. But they will never guess the secret Mercy is hiding... As an angel exiled from heaven and doomed to return repeatedly to Earth....

My thoughts.... 
Another cover buy... although the back cover blurb had me sucked in straight away. I wasn't expecting much from this book because I've had a few let downs lately, but was very pleasantly surprised!



The story revolves around the premise that the self-named Mercy can at any moment be torn from one host and thrown into another completely different life. This alone had me hooked.

The angel/Luc storyline I can only assume will be built on more later in the series - if you're after an angel story (as it is being marketed) be warned that it is first and foremost a mystery. Yes, there is a supernatural element, and there are angels involved, but it isn't really dwelled on to any great extent. All the Stephenie Meyer haters out there will probably hate the comparison, but there are similarities in here to The Host (which I personally quite enjoyed). On the other hand.... the Twihards will probably say this novel is ripping The Host off.... either way, if you like one, I think you'll probably like the other.

It is satisfying as a stand alone, and also as an introduction to a series. Mercy is pretty kick-ass; I want to see what is in store for her!

As an aside, I love that this was written by an Aussie author, and doesn't contain all the typical cliche Australiana crap. Lots of Aussie books fall victim to the cultural cringe, and this one successfully escapes intact - I actually assumed that it was set somewhere in the US, until I realised that it was written by an Aussie, and was intentionally vague about location.

No comments:

Post a Comment