Monday, July 31, 2017

Audiobook Listens July 2017

It's the audiobooks that have kept me sane the last couple of weeks!

The Barefoot Summer by Carolyn Brown

This one is hard to comment on, because I really liked some aspects of it. I loved the premise - a woman finds out at her husband's funeral that he has two other wives, one daughter, and another kid on the way. The three women go to a cabin owned by their dead husband, intent on waiting each other out and claiming the place. I thought the book was going to be a bit more of a mystery who-dun-it, and I guess it was, but the southern / Texas romance aspect kind of took over, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Depends What You Mean By Extremist by John Safran

I'm a huge John Safran fan. I've watched all his shows (and re-watch John Safran vs God on a yearly basis), loved his podcast, and really enjoyed his last book. I bought a paperback copy of Depends What You Mean By Extremist, but as soon as I saw he read the audiobook, I knew that I needed to listen to it. I mean, when I read the last one, I heard his voice reading it in my head, so same same, but this time I could be driving / walking / doing other crap while I listened.

This didn't disappoint. John looks at what an 'extremist' actually is, and his journey into the world of right-wing Australia was frightening and eye opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment