Friday, July 14, 2017

Podcasts I love #1

Because I spend over an hour in the car every day, I spend a lot of time listening to audiobooks. But, sometimes, after slogging through a 20+ hour listen, I often divert and listen to podcasts. For the last couple of years I've been going through a real true crime phase (Serial, Undisclosed, Up and Vanished, Real Crime Profile, Truth & Justice with Bob Ruff) but a horribly graphic recount of the James Bulger murder not long ago on one of these made me feel physically ill, and at a result, I've stopped with the true crime for the time being.


There's always been other podcasts that I listen to sporadically, but recently I've picked up a few book related ones that have had a very detrimental effect on my TBR pile and bank account.

The three I can't tear myself away from right now are:


So You Want To Be A Writer with Valerie Khoo and Alison Tait

I've actually been listening to this one on and off since it started a couple of years ago. The author interviews are always really interesting, and listening to Valerie and Alison chat feels like having a coffee with the girls from work - bookish, nerdy talk!

#OzYA!

Radio National's Rhianna Patrick with Jeann Wong (from Happy Indulgence Books) and Sarah Mayor Cox (be warned - subscribing to this also gets you other programs that Rhianna Patrick hosts about film and random other things (there was recently one on archaeology) so don't set to auto-download!)
This is the main culprit for adding to my TBR list. The three women often have differing opinions on the books they review, and the books that they are looking forward to. They discuss in detail two different new releases each month, and there's often author interviews (some of which get put up as their own separate episode). I love the OzYA focus, because it really has become my genre of choice.

Seeking Tumnus

This panel of four is a new discovery for me, but today I sped through about six episodes. They alternate between discussing new(ish) release books, and books from their teen years. (I think they're all in their late 20s / early 30s). They take turns in nominating the nostalgic read, and it's hilarious listening to how their adult selves are relating to these books that they loved (or one of the other panel members loved) during their teens. I'm currently on the Twilight episode, and I've had laugh out loud moment, which I'm sure made me look like a crazy woman whilst sitting in Sydney traffic this afternoon.

Any other bookish 'must listens' out there that I need to know about? 

No comments:

Post a Comment